Thursday, October 11, 2007

Portrait Project





For my portrait project, I chose to really make it more than just another assignment. I have a lot of doubt in myself when it comes to drawing, and actually all art in general. Jake suggested that I throw my fear out the "window" and just draw. I suddenly realized that not everything I make has to be perfect in my eyes, and that if it comes from me it is still something that no one can replicate (however valuable that may be). For this project, therefore, I made myself draw 25 portraits of myself without looking in the mirror. I wanted to capture how I viewed myself from the inside. On the first half of them, I did not pick my pencil up from the page and forced myself to just keep drawing. Surprisingly, for the final project I chose the 8 that I thought were the worst and chose to display them. In all, this project really made me re-evaluate myself.

No comments: