Sunday, December 9, 2007

Design Research: 10 Interiors

I really enjoy the eccentricity of this room. Upon first glance, it appeared to be some sort of a library due to the amount of objects in the room and the spiraling staircase found on the right side of the room. After examining the room closer, however, it is evident that this interior space is nothing more than a seating area. The fireplace and the neutral furniture really add to the space and the various works of art on the wall, somehow, refrain from taking away from the overall vibe.




The aspect of this room that I like the most is the simplicity of the overall design. "Less is more" really comes into play in a room like this. The varying patterns used throughout the room, surprisingly, are appealing to me. Also, the color scheme throughout the room (mainly black and white with subtle uses of color) really make the room inviting. The only thing that I do not like, however, is the lack of "grounding" that the picture on the main wall has.

This room, to me, is the ideal little girl's room. However, it also has a very adult, sophisticated feel with a slight French influence. I really like how all of the patterns in the room work with each other to achieve an overall successful design style. The painting above the bed, to me, truly adds that certain "something" that pulls the room together, along with the finishing touch of the chandelier.





Upon first glance, I thought that I really liked the overall design of this room. However, as I looked at it closer I realized that the excess of furniture really distracts me. I love the colors in the room, but I'm not sure about the choice of accessories. For example, I really don't care for the orbital-looking piece of art on the right side of the room and the curtains are far more traditional than the rest of the room. Perhaps with a larger variety of furniture, in smaller quantity, the room would have a more unique feel.


This room reminds me of the Gatewood Arts Building in that it utilizes raw materials and is overall simplistic in design. The entire room seems to be vertically oriented, which is very appealing to me. I also enjoy the installation of wood in the center-point of the room, because I think it grounds the room and adds that "something" special. Also, the furniture in the room, admittedly, is relatively sparse but has been chosen by the designer appropriately.





This oriental-inspired room is one of the ten rooms that I really enjoyed because of the simplicity. Contrasting to the room above this picture, this Asian room is horizontally oriented but is still simplistic. The photography, virtually unmentioned in the other rooms I viewed, really had an impact in the end result of this design. The blue coloring at the very end of the room really forces your eyes to travel throughout the room, as you would if you were physically interacting with it.




Although I was sure that I would love this room, I really began to dislike it because of the colors and furniture. For one thing, the room is too symmetrical: one chair, one couch, and random accessories are on either side of the room and are divided by a really odd coffee table. To me, the style of the room feels like traditional, classic meets the 1980's in a really bad way. The color on the wall, the furniture covering, and the accessories all seem to be a very cheap.




I really love this dining room. The unusual placement of the pictures above eye level really adds to the overall design. The colors used in the room are relatively neutral, allowing for the small, unique touches of the design to really shine through. Although the room is one of formal gatherings, the styling of the room gives it a classy feel while staying somewhat casual.





This is my least favorite room of all of the ones that I examined. For some people, perhaps, the busyness in the room is exciting and adds to their senses. For me, however, all of the furniture, colors, patterns, accessories, etc. do nothing but distract me. I appreciate the materials, such as the wood, in the room but I do not like the combination of various, random materials (such as the marriage between wood and iron in the table).






This room is by far my favorite. The art work on the main wall really grounds the room. The furnitue is simplistic in the room but unique in its own right. None of the accessories in the room take away from the design; they only add to it. The patterns in the room (the rug, chair, and painting) all seem to work together to really make this room special. The colors, as well, work relatively well together and create an overall appealing room.



No comments: